Great Victorian Bike Ride: Bairnsdale to Melbourne

This was my first year in Victoria and I didn't know much about it. I learnt about this multi day bike ride that takes you from Bairnsdale back to Melbourne. I thought why not ?  What a great adventure it proved to be.
Our team entry for the Great Vic  Bike ride.
Starting on the 1st of December it was at a fairly quiet time for my work, so I was able to take the leave. I dusted the cobwebs off my old Apollo bike that I've had since 1980. I gave the chain a bit of oil and she's was right to go.
The route took us to the following locations:
 Day 1: Bairnsdale to Paynesville
 Day 2: Paynesville to Maffra
 Day 3: Maffra to Seaspray
 Day 4: Seaspray to Yarram
 Day 5: Rest day in Yarram
 Day 6: Yarram to Traralgon
 Day 7: Traralgon to Leongatha
 Day 8: Leongatha to HMAS Cerberus
 Day 9: HMAS Cerberus to Melbourne

Some 3800 of us plus helpers are attending this ride. It is a big logistical exercise. Experience shows - Bicycle Victoria had it all worked out. We gathered in Melbourne to load vehicles, then these trucks will were used to move our stuff to and from each stopover.
Caroline, my girlfriend is there to see me and my friend Ray off. Wish you luck !
The route wends around country towns avoiding the main highway. Overnight we stayed mostly in football ovals. Massive marquees were set up to provide shelter for eating and entertainment.

Entry from my Diary:
The drive to Bairnsdale was very comfortable, with chatter between ourselves it was over before we knew it.  It took us a little  time to locate our bicycles - you would not believe the number of black bicycles there are !

Lunch, there was lashings of it and it was very tasty. An army marches on its stomach, as the saying goes is all too true. We were all fired up for the short 16km warm up ride to Paynesville.

My spirit was on a high and the ride was over in no time. The marshals on the way were a joy with their playful antics: cheer girls and guys clowning on the weirdest of bikes.

Paynesville is a beautiful town because of its location on the mouth of the lakes. Our camp was on the cricket ground. On arrival we realised the sheer magnitude of the numbers in this event. Imagine the ground's and its surrounds overflowing with tents and people.

One of Ray's mates, Nick, parked his tent over a bull-ant nest and paid the consequence with a nasty bite. Not a good start for him.

Entry from my diary:
From here we could and did catch a regularly scheduled  bus into town.  This service was rather farcical when we realised that it was a mere five minutes walk. The path of the bus was contrived to make you think it was distant,  taking you round the back streets and then to the cruiser club. The direct route walking was much shorter.

The cruiser club was a fine destination though. It is well placed for a magnificent sun set. with light evening breezes tempering the hot day and a cool beer, what more could one ask for ?

With all that decadence ie hugely expensive vessels in front of me, it was time to leave. Ray and I preferred something more on the side of nature, so we visited Russel island. Briefly anyway, as, though it was just across the water the ferries close their service at 6:30pm
It was a nice stroll back along the foreshore to camp for a meal. The food was very good, no complaints at all. the vegetables were freshly cooked and with a nice crunch on the carrots and greens. Desserts were delicious and plenty of fruit  was available. I certainly  won't be losing weight on this trip.

The organisation of this event was superb. With 3500 people it could have been a disaster. Masses of people were be fed in good time and people with special requirements such as vegans catered for as well. Wash tubs had continuous sprays where you rinsed off the foods scraps to assist in the cleaning up.
We had showers, portable toilets and so on, all loaded on trucks or trailers, moving an army from town to town.  The showers were ample and never ran out of hot water (not for me anyway). I might have to come on more bike rides if they are all like this.
In the evenings, announcements were brief about the next day and any issues, then there was entertainment or a movie. Tonight we watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

The people in the small country towns often rallied to make us feel welcome. Often there would be some kind of festivity.
Entry from my diary
Sunday morning 3:30am ! some inconsiderate chaps decide that they  would lay on the horn and blast around the streets.  I think I made a boo boo in my tent site being so close to the road, though I reckon the whole town heard it.  A fractured successful effort saw me regain some sleep until 6:00am. I was too excite anyway. 

Breakfast was hearty. There was some exciting news for me anyway as the ride was shortened to 86km from the initial 100km intended. Nothing short in practice though, it was a bit of a challenge with a long ride from 8:30 to 1pm. I was a bit buggered, not having ever done this sort of distance before.

I am not a cyclist by any means, but determination and pride is built in: one thing I refused to do was walk up a hill. I do admit, a lot of these hills did test one's stamina and will power. Many of us were cyclists for the first time, doing nothing more than the odd kilometre or two in a month.
I did however suffer and needed that nanna-nap when each section was completed. I could not believe that other 'cyclists' would go off for another ride adding a couple of hours on top of we did.
Leongatha home to some Australian cycling greats. We watched some cycle races at the velodrome. It was amazing to see how much power Stephen Pate had compared to his rivals. (note - he was disgraced in later years due to steroids.)
It was 'organised chaos' with regards to finding our bags at each destination, but somehow we always located them. Remember your group allocation and all is good.

Being mechanical and often not maintained, bikes break down. On hand there was a very capable company getting them back on the road for the next day and even following us should we need on the road assistance. 
The country is pretty, but it can be rather tedious in some areas where there are long straight stretches. Entertainment along the way kept us motivated, for example:
  • a blessing from the pope on the way to Maffra. "Bless your wheels, front and back as there shall be no discrimination", "Leave your money belts with me, and trust in the lord", "Blessed is your factor 15".   
  • and this comedy showing a spill enactment.  (hmm).
Accidents do happen, fortunately not often. Medical assistants were available and organisers were checking us and had radios. As humans, we break down in other ways too with sore muscles, cramps etc. Massage attendants and machines were there to help. Most of them volunteers too, thank you. If you want a massage, get in early as they book up quickly: sadly I missed out.
Entry from my diary
The road from golden beach was a long straight chore. Stop and you are eaten alive by mosquitoes or get overwhelmed with the odor of a dead wombat . Then we turn towards Seaspray. This  is a small inconspicuous  town, surviving on fishing and the odd tourist who ventures off the highway.

The surf beach was pretty, but unsuited for swimming due to the prevalence of rips. The next southern landmass is Antarctica, and upon entering the town I reckon we were receiving a good dose of the southern based winds. I was so hungry with the effort, I ate two salad rolls, two boston buns and fruit.
I loved participating in this event, so much so I booked immediately to do the Tasmania bike ride. It took me to towns at a pace that gave be time to appreciate them and as well to towns that I would probably ignore if I was driving.
A complete history of the ride destinations is on Wikipedia here. Also there is a pin map reference on Google maps to show what towns have been visited over the years.

Years later (2002), I learnt the importance of riding regularly and having a proper exercise habit. Cycling has given me an immense amount of joy and it will remain a lifelong interest. Also, my girlfriend is my wife (1994 +++) - putting up with my eccentricities, she somehow managed to say yes.


Comments