Enter the Golden Triangle - Chang Mai

It was a long overnight journey from Bangkok to Chiang Mai,  the rattling and roll quickly sends me to sleep. There are enough stops and noisy entry and exits to make that sleep somewhat a disrupted one. I had a sleeper, the extra cost over a seated carriage is well worth it.
Hill tribe village.
 
Laos, Burma and Thailand are all in close proximity. Chiang Mai is just within the famed Golden Triangle. Famed because of the drug wars between the USA and the traffickers in this region.

I loved it up here, the main activities of this part of trip were:
  • visit temples
  • hire a motorbike and travel into the hills visiting the hill tribes.
  • overnight bamboo raft trip&
  • the elephants
The temples are great fashion statements. The Thai people are joyful people and like colour. The temples are well decorated.
  Temple.
I suffered some gut rot and was laid out for a day. I love eating the street food, but sometimes it does cause a reaction. This country is hot and hygiene is not a strong point.  My buddies went off and explored the town whilst I suffered in silence. 
Buddha statue
One of my travel buddies decided to play the insurance game. A common traveler scam I heard later. He claimed his wallet was under the mattress in his room and that the cleaning staff nicked it. Why would you go to town without your wallet I asked and got an angry response. It might be true, but I was skeptical and rather upset by it all.

After that incident, I longer had any desire to be with my travelling friends.
Street food.
It was time to be on my own anyway so, I hired a motorbike for a few days and ventured up into the hills.
Man on a motorbike.
The roads were dirt, often wet and slippery which made for some interesting challenges. It was intimidating at times riding on my own in an area not well signposted and in a scribble that is unintelligible due to its non alpha form. My map sort of helped me.  It was scary, but exciting at the same time, and hey - I'm alive and writing about it !
Mud and motorbike.
The hill tribes still had remnants of their drug days. I took care to avoid the smoking dens. Mostly however, I felt safe and the people were quite friendly, especially when it came to trade.

The nice thing was, wass that there is no heavy duty pushy buy from me that one experiences in other Asian countries. Everyone was polite, and the prices weren't going to break the bank either. (just as well - my bank account is badly depleted, and overdraft: I don't have such a facility.)
Buying a souvenier.
The hill people (Liso village) are still living very much in their traditional way.
Drying food.
It is a rural area and living is very much off the land, supplemented with tourism income from handcrafts.
Rural scene.
I stayed at a Mrs Thip's travellers house. She was quite the business person offering overnight trips on a bamboo raft. My motorbike could be transported to the finish in Chiang Mai, so why not? Me and 3 adventurous ladies agreed to the adventure.
Guest house.
Overnight a raft was constructed. We headed off in a luxurious vehicle - a utility packed to the hilt with us and whoever needed a lift on the way.
Transport for rafting.
A scary incident occurred when we neared the river.  The vehicle stopped and there was a crowd of people milling around. Our guide asked us to remain in the vehicle. One of the ladies - an American, who had just finished a personal improvement course (she bored us to tears with that story) insisted that she had every right to get out and to know what was going on. me and the other two insisted she stay put.  There were uniformed officers with machine guns walking around, how stupid can you get ! Anyway it turns out someone from the Sha tribe was shot in the back and torched, laying face down in a puddle. Still a dangerous area it seems.

The anxiety caused by the drama was tempered with our arrival to the river bank. What an impressive bit of  work. Our craft and home for a couple of days had a toilet, roof cover and plenty of area to lounge on. To think this was constructed so quickly.
Bamboo rafts.
Floating on the river was quite relaxing, there was time to just chill and daydream.
Floating on the river on our raft.
We stopped at villages along the way trading with the locals and indulged in a massage as well. The massages here are done with your clothes on. The are a body work out - you will understand what pain is - or how rigid our western bodies are. There is a bit of a language issue too as the lady only spoke Thai. Brutal as they are, I do like them though, as you feel very relaxed afterwards.
Massage.
I met a buffalo and had to do the Crocodile Dundee hypnosis trick. (Stupid movie action mimicry. Luckily this animal was tethered.)
-->  Crocodile Dundee, buffalo.
We slept and ate on the raft. The meals were quite tasty and none too spicy, adjusted for our western taste buds. (mind you I love chili so it was no issue on my part).
Eating on the raft.
Elephants are a part of life up here. They are workers and have a strong relationship with their keepers. As horses are to many of us, then elephants are to the local peoples here. My witness was one of great care and love.
  Elephant.
The raft had a toilet, which satisfied our needs for privacy.
toilet on raft.
Not thinking that perhaps there are many vessels with similar facilites, and that the river villagers also dump their effluent into the water, I am enjoying a swim. No scary diseases were passed on to this traveler - this time !
Swimming.
Our trip included a visit to a geyser, and it exploded with some enthusiasm much to our delight.
geyser.
Chiang Mai, smaller village and rural surrounds. Adventuring on a motorbike up into the hills and floating on a raft: Now I like Thailand. This was much better than the over crowded city of Bangkok.

Blog Indexes:

Comments